Some of us are frequent fliers whereas some of us only fly once in a blue moon. Whether you’re the first or the latter I’ve put together a list of some favorite beauty tips that will help you look spot-on when you exit that airport. I’ve had my fair share of panicked rushed airport runs and a disheveled appearance added onto the hours of that dehyrdating plane air, add a few crying babies or passengers who have seem to lost their common courtesy, and you’ve got a recipe for disaster! So my theory is, why not turn those hours in the air into your own personal spa retreat? Here’s how:
1. Choose a rich moisturizer with SPF for your usual beauty routine that day.
Yes, that’s right. SPF is absolutely necessary when you’re up in the air. I didn’t know about this myself till I read an article a couple months ago and I was mortified as I quickly replayed all those flights where in my rushed state I forgot the SPF30. But the high levels of altitude also equal high levels of radiation, so you might feel protected in that heavy duty plane but those UV rays are seeping on through! So a rich moisturizer will combat that drying air and SPF will keep your skin healthy and protected.
2. Put on a rich hydration mask in the beginning of your flight.
I really like Origins Intensive Drink Up Overnight Mask. It goes on clear, smells so invigorating, and my skin just loves this hydrating formula! And since it’s meant to be an overnight mask, there’s no need to worry about time duration or when you need to wash it off. I just store it in an airtight mini travel jar, or a paint pot works just as well (you can reuse them from all those Sephora/Nordstrom beauty samples!). Just be sure to choose a mask that’s discrete aka clear so no one will know but you – flight attendants will just wonder how your skin got that healthy glow going on!
3. Stash a lotion in your carry-on that has a scent that takes you to your happy place
Bath & Body Works makes this amazing Stress Relief Eucalyptus Spearmint Lotion and I love putting this on my hands and just taking a deep inhale anytime during my flight. It just transports me into a more relaxed state of mind, and I forget about that kid behind me kicking my chair, and just sit back with my glass of wine and a good magazine. So from lavendar, tea-tree, apicrot, you basically have the whole realm of options to choose from. Find your happy place! But please remember to be courteous to your neighbors and find a scent that’s not extremely overpowering because not everyone may like gardenas as much as you do.
4. Cancel out the noise
If you travel a lot, investing in a pair of soundproof headphones may be a good purchase, friends of mine have said it does wonders for their flight experience and you really can just focus on yoursel and your thoughts, not the thoughts of that bickering couple behind you. Good quality headphones can be pricy, so just be sure to have your iPod packed and playlists ready. Your mentality, mood, and overall being will be so much happier – especially if you’re sleep deprived.
5. Brighten your smile
Long flights are the perfect excuse to bust out those whitening strips and since they go on clear, they’re quite discrete and when your 30 minutes are up just use a napkin to hide them in afterward. What’s a better accessory than having a killer smile to go with your glowing skin post-flight!
6. Bring cleansing/make-up remover wipes
These have been so handy! They’re so multi-functional and they work just as well cleaning up spilled wine to just wiping off the excess of my hydration mask from earlier on in the flight. These wipes are a must for any traveler on the go. I like to use them right when the pilot tells us that we’re preparing for landing and then my skin is prepped and ready for my travel beauty routine.
7. The Big 5
You only need to have five beauty products with you in your carry-on beauty kit. This will give you a fresh-faced beauty look that is effortless and versatile. Don’t bring your hordes of makeup onto the flight with you, nothing’s less fun than rummaging through your purse to find that one lipstick in that confined space of yours.
- Tinted moisturizer (with SPF) to even out my skin. I love Estee Lauder’s Daywear BB Cream, I can go on and on about the benefits but here’s a short list: it smells amazing, gives me enough coverage, full of antioxidants, and it has SPF 35 (perfect for flights!).
- Concealer/highlighter pen (YSL Touche Eclat is my personal favorite) that cover my dark circles and I can also use it to add a wonderful glow onto my cheekbones. It gives me a natural and finished look that is and looks effortless.
- A lovely pink-hued lipstick (no sparkle/glitter). This will give your lips a nice pop of color that goes perfectly with your glowing skin. It also doubles as a cream blush, hence the no glitter rule, so find a shade that works for both your lips and your cheeks.
- Eyelash curler will immediately brighten your eyes and with just a swipe of mascara on your upper and lower lashes you’ll be all set to pick up your luggage and go straight from the airport to grab drinks with your friends.