For those of you that frequent Santa Monica/Venice area, you may be familiar with a local favorite: Flake restaurant. I’ve been obsessed over their ‘Veggie Rad’ which has egg whites, avocado, a slice of good ol’ american cheese, and their special sauce all sandwiched between a flaky english muffin. The Veggie Rad is basically the healthier equivalent to the oh-so-delicious McDonalds McMuffin – just without the horrific caloric content. I’m a big fan of McDonald’s breakfasts and I was pleasantly surprised to find that this version was just as satisfying without the guilt!
As the Veggie Rads began to add up, my wallet was not as happy as my stomach. I realized I could make a simplified version of it at home and it’s been my go-to breakfast ever since. It takes 5 minutes of your morning and the only cooking you’re really doing is scrambling some eggs. It’s not only low in calories but it’s filled with healthy fats and has a good part of your daily protein. I find this to be deeply satisfying and filling. I feel starting off your morning with a healthy breakfast really helps keep your mindset on track to make healthier food decisions for the rest of your day!
Here’s how to recreate my healthy Faux McMuffin:
- Whole Wheat English Muffins/Pita Bread/Bagel Thins (all are great substitutes)
- Liquid Egg Whites
- Morning Star Veggie Sausages
- American Cheese* (optional)
- Put the pita bread in the oven till it’s warmed through
- Heat up the Morning Star Veggie Sausages in the microwave (only takes 1.5 minutes for 2 patties!)
- As the sausages are heating up, make your scrambled egg whites (the trick is to really get a good nonstick pan)
- I like to cut each of my veggie sausages in half and tuck two halves into each side of the pita bread. This is also when I place my cheese* so the heat from the pita/sausage can melt it.
- Top with the egg whites, follow with the avocado, and drizzle your favorite salsa on top