If you’re an Orange County native, chances are you have yet to explore the hidden gem of Downtown Long Beach. No, I’m not talking about 2nd street (a more talked-about/famous street in the 90802), I’m talking about 4th street. Often overlooked, easy to speed by, and filled with Long Beach locals at their favorite watering holes. I happen to come across this magical street by chance – yes, I rarely find myself using the word magical (often cliche) but that is the only word to accurately describe this street.
I came across master bakers, true artists, and chefs that were not praised for their culinary background but simply by just how good their food tastes; and the food tastes damn well if I might add. If you ever have a chance to explore 4th street, please check out some of my favorite places (in no particular order) that are definitely worth paying a visit to:
(1) Berlin Bistro | 420 E. 4th Street Long Beach, CA 90802
- + Why I Go: Cozy atmosphere is perfect for solo dates
- + Local Tip: Yellow sun chairs across the street make the perfect place to enjoy your to-go!
- + Buy: Mexican Mocha with Hemp Milk + flatbreads
(2) Twig + Willow | 3740 E. 4th Street Long Beach, CA 90802
- + Why I Go: Wonderfully curated pieces that include handmade embellished headbands, delightful candles, and fun cards that are perfect for saying the words you don’t know how
- + Local Tip: Prices can be steep but the sale section is promising and since this boutique is somewhat of a secret find your favorite pieces can often be found when they get in their new stock
- + Buy: Delicate gold bracelets and hand-crafted embellished accessories
(3) Coffee Cup Cafe | 3734 E. 4th Street Long Beach, CA 90814
- + Why I Go: Amazing vegan options that taste too good to be healthy and the best service one can ask for!
- + Local Tip: Right next to Twig + Willow (#2) and neighborhood parking is close-by and free of charge
- + Buy: Veggie Chorizo Omelette. Don’t believe me? Then trust them.
(4) Zephyr Vegetarian Cafe | 340 E. 4th Street Long Beach, CA 90802\
- + Why I Go: Tropical Ice Tea is less than $2 and with unlimited refills. Also the best Tropical Ice Tea I’ve ever had.
- + Local Tip: Fingerprints Music, sandwiched between Zephyr + Berlin Bistro (#1), has an amazingly large selection of old vinyl
- + Buy: Vegan Poppyseed Banana Cake. May not look appealing to some of you but c’mon give the vegan a chance.
(5) The Greenhouse Cafe | 149 Linden Ave. Long Beach, CA 90802
- + Why I Go: Great roast selection and all delicious. There’s no compromise on quality for price here – you get both.
- + Local Tip: Snag a table upstairs to get a birds-eye view (literally) of the happenings downtown
- + Buy: A Pour-Over Ecuador Coffee (iced/hot are both equally delicious)
(6) Fresh Kabob | 220 E. 4th Street. Long Beach, CA 90802
- + Why I Go: I am mildly obsessed with Indian food. Fresh Kabob has everything I love, no-muss no-fuss but with all the flavors I need.
- + Local Tip: Check out the Nordstrom Rack nearby, for some reason their women’s shoe selection is the best. My friend got some Charles David strappy sandals for a cent. Yeah, you heard me, a penny.
- + Buy: 3-way chicken kabob platter (includes drink) for $12 is healthy, filling, and packs a huge punch of flavor. Garlic naan should not be forgotten, one of the best things on the menu, I love that charred bready flavor with chunks of raw garlic on it. The definition of tasty.